The kind of phone you'll need
Your device must be a Sprint locked phone. This means, you have an Android or iOS device that you’ve purchased from Sprint, and would like to use with our service. If you purchased your device from any carrier other than Sprint, unfortunately, you would not be able to activate it as a BYOD device.
Our service is powered by the Sprint network and that relationship allows us to accept their devices, and use them with our plans and services. If you do not have a compatible device to activate, please visit our products page, to purchase a phone from us that you will be able to use with our free service.
What does "Locked" mean?
This means the device cannot (and has not) been used on any carrier besides Sprint.
Usually, devices are locked when you purchase them on a contract, directly from a major carrier (like Sprint). After 2 years your contract is over, but the device is still locked to the carrier.
Since the contract has expired, you can contact the carrier to have them unlock the phone, if you prefer to use the phone with another carrier.
Since the contact is expired, you can also cancel your account with that carrier, if you like.
But for BYOD activation with FreedomPop, we will need for that device to remained locked to the Sprint network. The device must also be free of any existing plans or service. This means you do not currently have a service plan with Sprint, or any other carrier like Ting or Straight Talk.
- If you brought a device that you never activated, that does not automatically mean your phone is "locked".
- iCloud locked phones and Sprint locked phones are two different things. If you buy a phone that is "iCloud" locked, that means you won't be able to get pass the home screen. The device may even be lost or stolen! Avoid purchasing an "iCloud locked" phone.
- If you brought a device that you own outright (paid full price, no contract on it) that does not automatically mean your device is "locked". This could be a "Prepaid" phone, which is not supported through our BYOD process.
- The following devices are universally unlocked! Which means the manufacturers of the device (the company that builds the phone) created it to work with any carrier. With devices like these, there is no way for Sprint to lock the phone to their network.
If you have one of the following Universally Unlocked phones, unfortunately, you would not be able to activate it as a BYOD device. (This is not a complete list of universally unlocked phones. If you're unsure, check with the retailer or carrier where your phone was purchased):
• Apple iPhone 5S, and Apple iPhone 5C
• Apple iPhone 6, 6S, 6 Plus and 6S Plus
• Apple iPhone SE
• Google Nexus 5x, 6, and 6P
• Motorola Moto X Pure Edition
• Samsung Galaxy S7, and S7 Edge
• Motorola Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, and Moto G4 Play
You can, however, use an unlocked device with one of our SIM cards. Please click here to take a look at our SIM cards. If you are not sure if your device is locked or not, the best way to find out, is to call Sprint, and give them your phone's MEID number. They can tell you if your device is locked to their network.
A FreedomPop representative can also tell you, if your device is eligible for a BYOD activation! Please contact us to confirm. Again, you will need to provide the representative with your phone's MEID number. You can use this guide, to find your phone's MEID number.
How can I port my number? Doesn't the account have to remain open for that?
Things can get a little tricky if you are trying to BYOD your Sprint phone, but you also want to port your number from that Sprint account. This is because the device cannot be connected to an account, when you try to activate with us, but to port your old phone number over, your old account must remain open.
To resolve this, simply speak to your previous carrier to have them disconnect your phone service, but make sure they do not cancel the account. This can be arranged by speaking to the customer service department with your previous carrier. Once your phone number is ported over to us, the account can then be closed.
Click here for more information on porting your phone number over.
Okay, I'm ready! Let's start the activation.
You can then begin activation by going to www.freedompop.com/byod.